Annually, over 20,000 people go to the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your home safe, Bob Brown Service Experts is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Never use a oven to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The ultimate thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Bob Brown Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 623-243-4517 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.